About the event
Do you want to explore inventing and creating with lasers? Then this Introduction to Laser Cutting Course is for you and will cover everything you need to get started.
Learn how to use the software, materials, and laser wood cutting and engraving equipment to create new designs and products under the guidance of the tutor Aidan Killeen.
On completion of the course, each Participant will get one free supervised laser pass where you will review all safety procedures, gain hands-on experience and demonstrate your safe handling of the machine through an induction (3 hours – valued at €70)*
** Students must bring their own laptop with a vector graphic package installed. We recommend InkScape which is free and open source but Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw will work as well. For more see below.
Where is it taking place?
Marina Commercial Park
Centre Park Rd
Who is it suitable for?
Not all workshop spaces are built to accommodate diverse needs. Please email email@example.com with questions
When is it taking place?
Saturday August 19th and Sunday 20th, 10am to 4pm
Price & do you need to book?
€200. To book visit Course Link/ Registration
Here’s what you’ll learn:
○ How does a laser cutter work and what are the safety precautions that must be taken?
○ What materials can you cut and what kind of results can you expect?
○ File preparation. How do you create or obtain vector graphics to cut and how do you convert between different file formats?
○ And what project you’d like to tackle from start to finish using the laser cutter as a tool.
○ This course is a prerequisite for using the laser cutter independently in benchspace if you have no prior experience with Lasers.
○ Basic computer literacy skills essential for a meaningful experience.
Benchspace is Ireland’s first, shared, creative manufacturing hub.
Their multidisciplinary workshops are equipped with digital design and fabrication facilities, along with modular open-plan studios.
The founding idea of Benchspace is to assist creative start-ups. Key to this objective is to provide affordable access to work space and professional equipment.
Such facilities naturally complement Further Education and Higher Education programmes producing graduates in creative and making focused disciplines. Benchspace lowers the barriers for graduates taking their first steps into the start-up market.
This event is a part of Cork Craft Month with Cork Craft and Design Collective. Summer 2023 will mark the 14th annual Cork Craft Month with over 50 events taking place all across the county.
Design & Crafts Council Ireland
All August Craft Month events are run independently by the event organisers. For questions regarding this event please contact the event organiser directly.